Sony raises PlayStation 5 prices everywhere except in the US
Sony group has announced the new price of its PlayStation 5 games console. Sony is now increasing the price of the PlayStation 5 by as much as 20% across its most major markets due to soaring inflation.
The Japanese electronics and entertainment company said the price increase was a result of the global economic environment and soaring inflation.
Jim Ryan president and CEO of Sony group said, “The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are no doubt experiencing”. “We are seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries” he added.
Ryan said, Sony is increasing the new retail price for the console in the UK, Europe, Japan, China, Australia, Mexico, Canada, and other with the inclusion of Japan. Though the US remains unchanged, the reason for that is known to the Japanese electronics giants.
Sony said that the hike has taken effect in the other regions except for Japan which is said to take effect on the 15th of September. Also, the price hike affects both models of the PlayStation 5 I.e the disc and digital versions.
PS5 price hikes, 25th August 2022
- UK PS5 disc version increased from €449.99 to €479.99, while the PS5 digital version increased from €359.99 to €389.99
- Europe: PS5 disc version increased from €499. 9 to €549.9 while the digital edition increased from €399.99 to €449.99
- Japan: PS5 disc version increased from 49,980 yen to 54,950 yen while the digital edition increased from 49, 980 yen to 54,980 yen
- China: PS5 disc version increased from 3,899 yuan to 4,299 yuan while the digital edition increased from 3,099 yuan to 749. 95 yuan
- Australia: PS5 disc version increased from 749.95 to 799.95 while the digital edition increased from 599.95 to 649.95
- Mexico: PS5 disc version increased from MXN 13,999 to MXN 14, 999 while the digital edition increased from MXN 11,499 to MXN 12,499
- Canada PS5 disc version increased from CAD 629.99 to CAD 649.99 while the digital version increased from CAD 499.99 to CAD 519.99
Although Ryan has said the price increase is a necessity he promised that the Sony company will focus on improving the PS5 supply so it can reach everybody. Though fortunately enough for Sony, demands for its console have yet to slow down before the hike this recent price hike we hope the price hike will not affect their market.
This news might come as sad news for some customers who are yet to buy the PlayStation 5.